From:
Tim Hiatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2017 06:09:56 -0700
All,

In another thread, I assert that fanning/roaring of a package in shipment
with insufficient air circulation is due to excess heat and CO2. But is
that the case? Has anyone applied CO2 to bees in high temperature settings
to see if that initiates fanning/roaring? Or is the excess fanning behavior
strictly a function of heat?

I have seen large bee beards outside hives after being transported in
daylight 100 F+ temperatures, but never with fanning/roaring. Such hives do
have some small air circulation, and likely no CO2 buildup (while the hives
were moving). I have seen fanning/roaring behavior also in battery boxes of
100 queens by the attendants in the box on warm days. These boxes have
windows on two sides but the attendants seem unable to figure out how to
set up to fan for circulation like they do at a hive entrance or other hive
locations.

I would appreciate some enlightenment on the issue.

Tim