From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:01:40 -0500
> Science should be an honest search for understanding why things are the
way
> they are.

> Insecticides are designed to kill insects.  But as the recent paper by
> Galen Dively demonstrates, there is scant evidence to put the blame for
all
> pollinator problems upon any single insecticide.

Randy -

I do agree with you. Honesty is important.  But we also need to be honest
that we do not understand the present predicament of the bees - even if it
is not displayed in the total bee population of North America.  I believe
most accept that today's challenges in beekeeping are the result of a
complex combination of factors.  It seems to me that the popularity and
changes in the use of insecticides are likely one of the factors...
although it is only one.  But assuming that it is one, I would vote for
applying wisdom in the use of insecticides.  I believe I have heard numbers
like 80% of our agricultural crops are treated prophylactically... just in
case there is an insect around.  I would ask if this is wise.

Most of the beekeepers in my circle no longer use TM prophylactically.  We
encourage each other to treat for varroa that are validly present rather
than treating in case they are there.  I think this represents the use of
honest wisdom in our bee affairs.  Wisdom comes from having done it wrong
and learning from that error.  Let's get together and act wisely.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL