From:
Elroy Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 15:05:23 -0500
Allen Dick wrote: Allen Dick wrote:

> Anyone know if queens being raised in California yet?  I had heard they
> got off to a terrible start.

The el nino must of messed  things up in California as far as bees go.
Other
beekeepers and myself have been waiting for our bees to return from the
orange
groves. They are usually finished with the bees by the 10th of April, we
got
them too early last year because of the cold spring here. This year the
apple
trees in my back yard are getting ready to bloom, and I found a few
dandelions.  I have been told that the bees won't be shipped until may 2nd.

The beekeeper that I sent my bees with has been trying to get 200 packages
installed in the orange groves for the past 3 weeks, but the date keeps
getting pushed back. He is getting really worried about it now because he
says
the bees will be too jumpy to ship right after installation.   I had
ordered
35 queens from Glen apiaries, they will probably get here a couple days
ahead
of my bees.

I been finding all different ways to treat bee fever in the beekeeper
though,
that is paint, and repair everything in sight. So much for getting an early
start on some queen rearing.

Maybe Andy can fill us in on California.

Elroy