From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 15:41:46 -0400
Alas, some of my honey super combs are partially plugged with white and
black mould.  I have never seen this before, at least to such an extent.
(Supers are stored outside all winter, stacked on old queen excluders to
keep out the mice, and covered against snow/rain.)

It appears that several of the supers contained a good deal of pollen - for
some reason - after the final extracting last fall.  (Come to think of it,
I did have a number of queens reared and producing lots of brood above the
excluders in one yard.)  Anyhow, those pollen-cells now contain a hardened
white mass, and there is gray/black mould on some of the surfaces as well.

Has anyone had luck with the bees removing this hardened material, or will
they ignore it?  It is pretty hard to dig out.

Interested in any suggestions... thanks!
JG