From:
Herve Abeille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:14:11 -0500
>> Hello Herve,
>> I don't buy what you are selling! As for De Jong, Caron or
>> Winston. I would love to see any one of them go to Brazil

I am not selling anything. I am passing on the info I got from Dave De Jong:

> Today most apiculturists are satisfied with their conditions and actually
prefer Africanized bees because it is easy to get bees and because they are
good producers. Indeed, the large number of people now taking up beekeeping,
including many young men and women, attests to the manageability of these bees.

> As scientists, we are no longer concerned with the strong defensive
behavior of the bees. In fact, today most commercial beekeepers in Brazil
prefer to work with Africanized bees. The defensive behavior of these bees
has decreased and beekeepers slowly realized they could exploit the high
capacity for adaptation, reproduction and productivity of the Africanized bees.

David De Jong
Professor of Genetics
Genetics Department
Faculty of Medicine