From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:17:24 -0700
Hartman,
The jury is out on infant botulism. Honey has been implicated in cases
of IB for childern under 1 year. But so have fresh fruits and
vegetables. You should not feed an infant that young anything that has
not been properly pasturized. I was told the reason is that an infant
under 1 year has not yet developed the "flora" in their gut to handle
most of the stuff we take in daily.
The FDA has not put a caution or warning lable on honey and they know
all about IB. It only affects a few children, not all. But to be on the
safe side don't feed honey to a child under 1 year.
As far as the ringworm comment, that is news to me. It looks like he is
throwing out a hypothisis to see what happens.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME
Hartman B. Canon wrote:
 In the
> 1997.09.13 issue of SCIENCE NEWS which I have just received, the first 'LETTER'
> follows verbatim:
> HEALTH RISK FROM HONEY?
>  In regard to the letter about heathful honey (SN: 7/12/97, p.19), cases of
> infant botulism caused by ingestion of 'Clostridium botulinum' present in raw
> honeywere reported in the MORBIDITY and MORTALITY WEEKLY REPORT several years
> ago. I have for years suspected that raw honey may also be responsible for cases
> of visceral larval migrans (canine and feline roundworm in tissues other than
> the skin) in children for whom no other mode of infection has been determined.
> Ted M. Reynolds
> Notasulga, ALA
> <<<UNQUOTE
>
> An editor's note followed the above:
> Microbial contamination can indeed be a problem (the fungus that produces
> aflatoxin is a known culprit). Garon Smith was referring to trace metal
> contamination when he said that eating honey was safe.
> -C. Wu
> <<<UNQUOTE
>
> Well people, all my life I have been led to think that honey was just the BEST,
Have we all been blind