From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:21:50 -0800
I feel that Allen has a valid point about common sense and potentially
dangerous chemicals.  There are more dangerous chemicals under the average
kitchen sink, and no one makes a fuss about the potential danger of their
use by untrained housewives (and husbands).

That said, my research and practical experience indicate that oxalic dribble
is very safe to the applicator.  Certainly safer than the act of driving to
the bee yard!

The application of vapor has the caveat that one breath of the vapors will
send you into a coughing fit, and will quickly train you not to ever breath
it again!  I personally feel that the risk of another breath like that was
more than I wanted to deal with, so I personally decline to use vapor.
However, there are plenty of beekeepers who find that they can apply it
without mishap.

In my relatively mild climate, I can use dribble during the winter.  For
those in the North, vapor has an advantage.

BTW, the Swiss page links to some efficacy data--much better than that
obtained by Mike.  They also found that a blower increases efficacy.

Randy Oliver