From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:59:43 -0700
> I was referring to a non-migratory system, but I see no reason that a bee
> strain could not be developed that could cope with migratory conditions,
> better than a locally adapted strain,

You are correct, and what you speculate is reality.

There are bees who are bred to withstand constant moving and varying
environments, crowded yards, etc.

To some extent this result has come about naturally by intentionally
breeding from the best survivors of such treatment, and to some extent other
deliberate selection.

>  ... I suspect  that its characters would not be particularly of economic
> benefit

As for how they perform, my understanding is that they are at least average
at least in non-migratory situations, and their performance in migratory
conditions is (of course) better by far than bees which cannot survive such
usage.

> as they may be smaller colonies and not so industrious.

Actually, that is not my understanding.  Bees for pollination have to be
strong early.

Where is Bob?  We have been touching on topics he works with daily.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/
---
 A billion hours ago, human life appeared on earth. A billion minutes ago,
Christianity emerged. A billion Coca-Colas ago was yesterday morning. --
1996 Coca-Cola Company annual report