From:
Greg Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:15:59 -0500
<So... we are again looking at recommending to beginners that they not monitor but treat on a schedule.>

Respectfully, this just doesn't seem right.  What little bit I know about it, measuring mite loads seems essential.  Honestly, I have not even looked at the BIP data for awhile, so I could very well be misreading your intent, but sampling the bees should not only be a first step, but should be followed up a couple of weeks after treatment to actually measure efficacy.  Just blindly scheduling 3 "recommended" treatments might help, but again... how do you know without sampling?  Plus, sampling helps the newer folks get to know their bees a little better.  Education and familiarity with what's happening is essential.  A "one size fits all" solution is like a broken clock that is only correct twice a day.

Theoretically, we should all be working to take Randy's model apart and customize the variables for own local conditions in order to determine when, what, and how to treat to even begin with.  Then, utilizing the customized variables, see if the model accurately feedbacks what is actually happening.  The recommendation to always use amitraz is probably not the best idea either.