From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 13:47:59 +0200
-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Til: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Dato: 30. maj 1999 02:46
Emne: Queen Destruction of Swarm Cells

>Greetings all,
>     Today, I went out to check a swarm that I collected 1 1/2 months ago.
>Last weekend, I checked it, and figured that it would need a second deep
>body this weekend.  There was also evidence of early swarm activity.  The
>colony is not that big yet, cause it was a small swarm to begin with.  When
>I got there, I opened the hive and began to check frame by frame.  I found
>one frame with a capped swarm cell, which yes, I did cut.

It is very normal, that a swarm will replace the old queen with a new queen themself. Normaly the first swarm that goes is with the Old queen and the bees will replace her when times come. Cutting out queencells is interfering in this matter, and should not be done, because it will prevent the bees in getting a new queen, and I doubt you can stop this. What you can end up with is the old queen still present, and mayby not as god a egglayer as normal. A good queen can produce around 2000 eggs a day.

By the way, I will recommend you to get hold in a new egglauing queen selected on less swarming, and replace the queen with this. Also the old hive should have a new queen selected on this criteria, becouse swarming is genetical bound and can be limited in this way. You can use the time better than catching swarms.

best regards

Jorn Johanesson

EDBi = multilingual Beekeeping software since 1987
http://home4.inet.tele.dk/apimo (Denmark)
http://wn.com.au/apimo (Australia)
http://apimo.dk (USA)