From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:29:47 -0700
--- On Sun, 6/21/09, Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

If there are a wide
> range of genetics in a yard, then some hives will be plugged
> from last fall, and others starving.  Some will be
> swarming and some will be just waking up for the year. I've
> seen it.

I agree with your comments.  However, our inspector who inspects hives over a wide region in South Western Pa states that he interprets the situation as dearth of nectar and pollen, setting back the smaller colonies and larger colonies withstanding this stress much better.  Pollen feeding would have brought these smaller colonies that had been stressed up to par in time for the flow.

I found an old hand written document from early 1900’s from a beekeeper that once transported colonies to this area for the Tulip bloom, in which he states that pollen supplement feeding was a must to collect the Locust and Tulip Popular in this area.  So, perhaps, if he was experiencing this need to feed 100 years ago, it is not such a new problem, and it appears to support the suspicion that it is a environmental factor and not something new occurring such as a mixed genetic factor.

> What I am wondering, and you have already considered this I
> imagine, is that I understand that you are working with
> survivor stock, open-mated, and may have quite a mix.

I would perhaps fess up that my survivor stock did not survive, these are all ferals I’ve collected going back to when the feral rebound was gaining strength starting in 2000.  I do have a mix, but I am not as mixed as one might think because I actively select for Italian type traits, and the local population of ferals seems to be dominated with these types. My past experience has shown that any mix of race ended up being very disruptive, so I actively cull on sight any survivor stock or swarms brought in that do not have the markings and traits I am seeking.

I think I’m settled on a bee that is doing well for me, I am basically though with the trials and errors of experimenting and trying out fancy strains. I am now to the point that I wish to seek ways to promote spring buildup as the beekeeper in the early 1900’s stated was essential to gain an early surplus in this area.  I still have suspicions that my bees may be overweighed on the survival traits, so I am looking into the possibility bringing in a few commercial Italian type bees.

Best Wishes,
Joe