Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2017 12:00:30 -0600
I have been overwintering for at least 30 years in Edmonton Alberta. The
best method of insulating I have found involves putting a 20" x 16" piece of
2" thick extruded Styrofoam directly on the top box. The bees stay warm and
any moisture seems to condense on the side walls of the boxes. The important
thing is to make sure the insulation stays dry. A box full of straw or
shavings or unsealed fibreglass seems to get wet and does more harm than
good. Insulation on the sides helps, but the roof is the most important.

Best regards,

Donald Aitken

53.70 deg. N  113.62 deg.W