From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:40:00 -0400
I think Randy's point is a good one, and am embarrassed to say I haven't
fully thought through the circumstances.
For many years I have faithfully combined weak fall colonies only with
those that were very strong.  I have thought and preached (taught) that
combining two weak colonies resulted in ONE weak colony so, instead, weak
colonies should ONLY be combined with only very strong colonies.  I admit I
did not update my thinking to account for the virus infections facilitated
by varroa.
It is too late for 2018, but in the fall of 2019 weak colonies will be more
or less abandoned and definitely not combined with strong colonies.
Consider me abashed.