From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:56:44 -0400
Since we are in a how did it go with screened bottom boards, has anyone
tried the small cell size foundation and what are your findings?

I used smaller cell size foundation that Dadant sold some years back. I
had excellent results from it with few mite problems. I could not
attribute my success to it because I also used Apistan. But during the
time I used it I lost no hives over the winter to either mite. Mt
tracheal counts were near zero every spring. I did have varroa but they
were few.

One hive was weak going into the winter and I was cutting down on the
number of hives so I did not treat it with anything. It made it through
fine.

A friend had lost all his hives every winter for three years running and
was about to give up beekeeping. I gave him the "hive that would not
die". That was three winters ago. It is still going strong and was on
the smaller foundation. Obviously there have been new queens so it is
not the bees. He is a better beekeeper, and still loses hives, but not
this one.

I, however, continuing my testing for the State Newsletter, tried
plastic foundation in my three hives to see which type was best. So I
lost the small cell size foundation. I have lost hives every year since.

I realize that it may not bee cell size, since we now have resistant
varroa, but so does my neighbor with my old hive.

I intend to shift to a smaller cell size for all my hives. If my
experience is because of the smaller cell size and not other factors,
then maybe 4.9 is not essential in colder climates but slightly larger
will also work.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME