From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:01:36 +0800
This posting was stimulated by statements in the thread "Italian bee is a hybrid"
PLB said-

"I don't think anyone understands epigenetics, and the genetic underpinning of behavior is only partially understood. On the other hand, there is a mountain of evidence that particular behavioral traits are heritable (hygienic behavior, aggression, susceptibility to disease)."

"And no evidence that I can think of where a specific behavior can be shown to be passed from one colony to another, or even from bees in the same colony via some sort of epigenetic mechanism. Unless you include learned behaviors, but that isn't really what is generally meant by epigenetic, which conventionally refers to cellular processes such as methylation."

Randy has also posted in the past about epigenetics with reference to bees.

I have observed a behaviour in my hives on an annual basis that perhaps you guys can explain or define as genetic or epigenetic.

At the beginning of each season I set up my queenright queen cell building colonies in one apiary. These colonies are selected because of their good health, strength and ease of working qualities.I usually set up 20 to 30 colonies although I actually only need about 10 on a continuing basis through the season. I do this because I know that not all colonies will build good cells. This is the behaviour I am curious about. My first graft is into all the cell builders. The result is that some will build excellent cells, both in size and quantity, and some will build tiny cells, and some will be variously intermediate. About 50% don't make the grade.These colonies are rejected as cell builders and returned to honey/pollen production at which they perform as well as any other.This rejection of the colony for cell building is because my past experience has shown that they will always build small cells even if they are requeened, or requeened and combined with a strong nuc. That would indicate that the behaviour is not genetic in origin, but instead is a learned behaviour within the colony, and a strong one at that! However, all the colonies are in one apiary, and have the same environment. To my understanding of epigenetics this would indicate the behaviour is not epigenetic either. So what is behind it?

PeterD

in Western Australia, where it should be our wet season, but where we are currently experiencing the driest July in 94 years.