Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Allen said:
>Actually, in my operation, varroa seems to have become more virulent 
over the last decade to where I gave up using oxalic acid and went to 
Apivar.

Certainly an interesting observation by Allen. I remember when I used to sign my posts:
"From the  varroa control front lines" and Allen reported he did not think he had ever lost a hive to varroa ( in archives) 

Perhaps varroa has became more virulent? In my opinion bees have certainly become harder to keep alive in the U.S. over the last decade. 

As I have said before on the list researchers need to quit patting themselves on the back and figure out the source of our problems.

Varroa has been a convenient scapegoat.

The industry is trying to control varroa with available controls. Every effective control has been around for decades. (listed in the Varroa Handbook published by Dr. Larry Conner in 1988)

Varroa has always been an important component in keeping healthy bees. 

I have played chess in tournaments.

Rule number one in chess

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR OPPONENT

In commercial circles some losses can be blamed on poor varroa control but in some others the hive loss 
can not be explained by varroa, virus or nosema.

The most common signs of high varroa infestation are not seen ( as they were in the first 15 years of dealing with varroa) which is varroa scat in cells and PMS in brood.

Millions of dollars have been tossed at the bee die off problem but still bees keep dying.

Bees coming out of Texas are looking great this year. Beekeepers are smiling. Same as last year and the year before.

Problem is fall and winter die off. If the hives on the ground today were still around come almond time their would not be a shortage.

The above is to stimulate thought. I have hypothesis which includes several factors .

The one thing I do not question is the problem causing hive loss and dwindling is real.

bob

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2