From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:34:33 -0700
 > ...The situation now is much different with oxytet
 > resistant AFB becoming rapidly widespread.  Beekeepers are losing
 > colonies and equipment at a time when low honey prices are really
 > squeezing them.

I wonder if the AFB you are seeing is *at all* responsive to oxytet?  And I also
wonder if there have been any noticeable differences in the strains of bees
involved in the AFB breakdowns.

 > I have even found a commercial outfit here that does
 > contract sterilization using ETO and is willing to treat beekeeping
 > equipment.

We used to have a big publicly owned ETO chamber here in Alberta, but sold it.
There were concerns about the breakdown products of ETO and the many beehive
constituents.  It also does not work if there is anything in the cells such as
honey or pollen.  (lots more in the archives).  With a drug backup ETO is okay,
but I would think that using ETO alone, one would be having a lot of bonfires or
making many return visits.

Unless there are drugs that can be proven effective, immediate and thorough
burning is the only absolute solution and we are back to square one, where we
are once again very vulnerable to what our neighbours do.  The nice thing about
drugs is that it does not matter at all what your neighbour does.  If he leaves
AFB lying all around the place, you will not have any problems if you use the
drugs correctly.

At least that is how it used to be.  Now if some housewife nearby throws a jar
of unwanted Argentine honey into the dumpster you are in big trouble.

The interesting thing about this spreading outbreak is that we are seeing a NEW
DISEASE invading new territory.  Using new equipment, etc. will not prevent it,
because it is obviously quickly becoming established in the environment.

Resistant bees are the best defence.  Hope they are up to the job.

I THINK IT IS TIME WE ALL DEMAND HYGIENIC BEES -- AND ONLY *PROVEN* HYGIENIC
BEES -- FROM ALL OUR SOURCES.

FWIW, This fiasco was entirely foreseeable and preventable.  While the North
American regulators were focused on imaginary diseases in some offshore bee
sources, the real threat went ignored and now is on the shores.  Makes one want
to go help out at the WTO protest, methinks.

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.