From:
CW Honey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 17:57:32 -0500
In a message dated 96-02-27 16:19:02 EST, David  wrote:

> If you can produce a bee which
>doesn't produce vast quantities of the sticky stuff would be an advantage.

It is felt here by many beekeepers in So. Arizona that this may be a quality
that has been bred out which should not have been.  PMS or other viruses are
felt to be on the rise because the propolising by the bees to coat the cells
and cover and kill these viruses has been reduced by breeding programs by
beekeepers who do not like messing with the bee glue.

Natural defenses have been removed by well meaning breeders, but many in So.
AZ are trying to return these natural traits to our bees.

Using small cell size comb is another natural mite defense that we are having
some fairly good results with.  NO STRIPS!

Walt Spears

E Mail: [log in to unmask]