From:
Mark Berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:15:24 -0500
I will be back to SC in about 3 weeks. At which time I will look to see whether there is anything left of the patties and to see what brood might have been produced. And then I can decide whether to continue the experiment and apply some more protein patties or not and whether HFCS is needed.

I placed the protein patties between the two deeps because that's where the middle of the clustered colony was and thought that SHB would be less a problem there. I hardly ever even see SHB in my hives and when I do, if I fed protein patties, I find them in/on the patties that are on top of the top boxes top bars where there aren't very many bees working at eating the patty.

What I really want is for someone to tell me what I should see broodwise as a result of those patties?

THe message I am getting is that if I want splittable hives early I should start feeding patties in January and not Nov. or Dec., right?