From:
"K. Bokhorst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:02:29 +0200
This is again a message for Dr Rodriguez but of interest to all of us.
Yesterday I wrote about the quantity of MO you have to put into your hive.
Today I learned the following.
I am a purchase Manager in the chemical industry .
So it is easy for me to obtain FGMO (infact I bought some in the past)
But Food Grade Mineral Oil    DOES NOT EXIST    anymore
The FDA does not approve MO in goods which can come into contact with Food.
They took it from the list of approved materials last year.
I do think we have a problem now.
(the materials which are approved now are MCT's, That are mid
chain(synthetic) fatty acids that are totally saturated.)
I do think they will work as well. On the list quite a few people wrote
about all kinds of
vegetable oils. The disadvantage of these oils are there natural origin
which means that they consist of a various amount of chemical components ,
amonst others unsaturated comonents which can be oxidated causing
undesirable odour and so on.
At any rate I ordered a small amount of MCT and I am going to try it.
I will keep you informed, but it will a lot of time before you can be sure.

Greetings from a very sad beekeeper (the honey flow was bad this year)

Karel Bokhorst