Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:45:30 -0400
> As far as I can ascertain, the posters on here are trying to understand
> the risks associated with bee exposure to pesticides based on available
> evidence. It is not a case of being in one camp or another."
>

> Yes, I agree....I believe there are a lot of us in the middle...wondering.
>  But do you really think that no one on this list has made up their minds
> on this subject?

You agree that the posters are trying to find the truth but at the same
time some have made up their minds? That is one of the finest example of
contradiction I have run across in years. But it does mirror your attitude
toward those you disagree with.

Actually I do think most all here are open to facts that will be
persuasive. Plus, I am very happy to be well away from melodramatic
academia. Downton Abbey is sufficient.

It came to me yesterday what my problem is with lab rats. I was one. Got my
MS in Chemistry and commenced with my Navy career and shifted quickly from
science to engineering, which I practiced from then on. I like this list
because there are very bright people, like Randy, Allen, Pete, Jerry, and
others who practice science and conduct very good experiments in
beekeeping.

But, in truth, they are really engineers. Engineers have to be practical
while scientists do not. Engineers are real world, so when the scientists
say that this happens if this happens, the engineer asks if this is ever
found in the real world, because that is what they have to build to. Plus,
they are bound by cost and the knowledge that if they are wrong, it costs.
They might lose their livelihood.They might kill someone, so they care. Not
so with a labrat. Life goes on and no one cares. I think the last time I
looked, about half of all scientific papers are garbage.Might even be more.
That has certainly been the case with many discussed here, including the
one I discussed concerning supplement issues with bees, since the amounts
used in the study are questionable. Again the engineer is the one who
questions, not the scientist, since they really do not care about reality,
only the lab results. Are they reproducable- in the lab.

When the engineer makes a mistake everyone knows.

The other thing about this list is we really do get along. I pull Bob's
chain, Allen dinks me from time to time, but we all have been here for a
long time and are only looking for what is best for our bees, not what is
best for our egos. We disagree, but we do not look down on anyone. Your
voice is as equal to any other if you have something to say or ask. There
is no pecking order.

What is consistent with this list is if you post be prepared to defend your
post, since it will probably be challenged by someone. The challenge is
usually directed toward facts, but occasionally not and if not, you are
presented with a demonstration of verbal piranhas in action.

But no melodrama.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine