From:
logcabin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:16:52 -0400
>Shouldn't you continue the experiment for longer than one season?<

I'm sorry if I misrepresented myself with my statements because I never
meant to imply that this was an experiment on my part. It was just a
singular observation made off a primarily ascetic decision to stain hive
parts instead of painting them white.

I have had several colonies for several years in this area and this one
colony with the stained exterior, was simply the best spring build up I have
ever witnessed.

Because my goal was to increase numbers this year, I was able to split that
particular colony very early because of its brood population.  To date I
have split it up 2 times yielding 8.  All of which are in varying states of
drawing out foundation in hive bodies that stained.  Both feet at once I say
and learn while doing, not talking!

If this spring the whities are equivalent or better I will know that it was
a fluke.  But all future hives will be stained because I like the look,
unless of coarse I run out of stain and green paint is what I have lying
around.  I guarantee the following year everything new won't be green
because of a similar fluke, but who knows!
steve