From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:00:55 -0800
"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>The supplier did offer to replace the bees (to give me another nuc)
  Mark's reply: I meant money back to you.

  > novices should be advised not to start out with purchased nucs

  Mark: I usually do caution against buying used equipment. Nucs from a reputable supplier should be safe. But how does one know?

>I know but I think this cloak of confidentiality lets folks with AFB make splits and sell nucs. They often use TM to mask AFB.

  Mark: Yes this is true and any seller of bees period should be willing to tell the buyer what sorts of treatments were used in the bees for the last 12 months or so. But again, who do you trust?

  > How often the inspector is not able to verify the infected colony was burned indeed?

  Mark: When AFB is found by an Apiary Inspector and is verified by lab tests the diseased material is supposed to be burned under supervision of the Apiary Inspector. In other words the inspector is supposed to be there when it is burned. Sure some people jump the gun and proceed without the inspector but not all that often. All that said, Long Island is somewhat a special case. Hard to get to, with independent minded people who, like some from another part of the state, think that they should be able to police themselves adequately.According to the number of cases found in the last 2 years, I would say that some folks aren't even able to police their own operations, let alone the whole island.

>What is the useful purpose of collecting data if it does not get out there to steer, particularly, new beekeepers clear of potential problems?
I think AFB statistics on registered apiaries, including my own. :), should be in the public domain.

Mark: I couldn't agree more. I gave a talk on AFB at a meeting of the Southern Adirondac Beekeepers Association (SABA) about a year and a half ago. The topic was AFB. I started off my talk in the fashion of Alchoholics Anonymous, Hi, my name is Mark, I have AFB. My point was, Let's get over the stigma of AFB. If you are going to be a beekeeper you either have had AFB or you are going to get AFB. It's best to learn as much about it as you can so you can protect the rest of your colonies once you find the first case. But the shame? Get over it.
  Mark

Yahoo! Shopping