From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:04:56 -0500
Here’s a question that may be answerable through basic research or simply from responses here on Bee-L: Is there a disadvantage in using plastic foundation in northern climates in deep boxes, because it makes it harder for bees to move horizontally across frames to get to stores?

 What I’m wondering is the following.  With wax foundation, will bees chew through the foundation to move more easily to the stores on either side, which is not possible with plastic foundation?

Here’s why I’m asking.  Way back when (20+ years ago), when I started to keep bees, I used wax foundation.  I remember that the bees would occasionally chew holes through the foundation.  But, I can’t remember the specifics (when and where in the hive), and I didn’t include those details in my notes.  After blowing out a couple of frames in my radial extractor, I switched over to plastic frames and foundation.  A few years ago, I switched to wooden frames with plastic foundation to try to cut back on the amount of burr comb and propolis they applied to the frames (which worked).  Over the years, I have had colonies chimney up through the hive, ending up at the tops of the frames in the top box (running three deeps).  If I catch them in time, I have successfully gotten them through to spring by feeding dry sugar on newspaper.  This winter has been rough, so far.  We had a long, dry fall, through which I fed syrup and pollen patties, followed by an unusually cold period in mid-December with temps down to -11F/-24C and highs in the single digits F. Except for a couple of breaks, it has been pretty consistently below freezing to date (e.g. was 1F/-17C this morning and will be at least as cold tonight).  Last year I also tried a new varroa treatment, using oxalic acid vapor to try to reduce the stress to the colonies (in the past have used bottom board formic acid fumigation as has been described on Bee-L, which occasionally resulted in queen loss).  Between Christmas and New Year on a day when it actually got up to 40F/4C, I checked the hives and found several hives with bees already on the top frames with one cluster dead on top with plenty of stores to either side.  I’m now feeding the survivors dry sugar on newspaper, but it will be a challenge, I think, to keep them going this way until March or April.

I’m wondering, if they would have been able to move laterally, had they been able to chew through the foundation.  Could this be an issue for hives with plastic foundation that experience long, hard winters (and, conversely, a non-issue for more southern hives)?  I haven’t been able to find anything definitive in my searches.  Have others any experience that can help answer this question?  I wouldn’t be opposed switching to wax foundation for my deeps, or, alternatively, switching to all medium boxes (right now, just use them for supers), if the shorter distance between boxes made it easier for the bees to move laterally.

Thanks,

Bill
Claremont, NH