From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2013 18:01:59 -0700
So I read an article in one of the bee journals a couple of years back by a
prominent researcher saying that bees prefer beeswax foundation over the
plastics.  I have several cases of crimp wired deep foundation in storage
and spent a good many nights 3 winters ago cross wiring frames and popping
in crimp wired 100% wax foundation.  I probably wired 800-1000 frames.
Well the jury is IN on this little experiment and it was a disaster.  Most
of the frames had the bottom edge of foundation chewed away and now have a
solid bottom edge of drone comb. I get drone comb along the crimp wires
regularly too.   I installed 1000 frames of Pierco in wooden frames last
year and there is no comparison.  I am steadily culling the crimp-wired
beeswax frames on spring inspections now.  I am also slowing culling all
solid plastic frames.  I have American made and imports and all break the
ears off with a little age.  I also hate the way they stick together top to
bottom when separating hive bodies.  I am 100% sold on wooden frames and
plastic waxed foundation.  You get what you pay for.

I send this out as an observation but also in an attempt to change the
subject....

cheers!

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC