From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:32:01 -0600
>For a school class I have to "pick" a job.  So I picked Commercial
beekeeping.

You don't seem to be getting much help on this one Nick. Your question seems
as relevant as the others on the list these days and it was topic of
conversation as we went through a couple of yards yesterday.

Hope this gives you a little different view.  Someone will  likely list out
all the "beekeeping" jobs of their commercial apiary for you.  There are
books and articles that follow through the season and depending where the
operation is located they will very greatly.  Commercial beekeeping covers a
wide area.  We are honey  producers,  but there are also queen and nuc
producers, pollinators and combinations of the all these.

>What you do,

We thought the following expression fits this occupation very well:  Jack of
All Trades, Master of None.  We are just getting going for the season so
things are quite varied.   Resently I have been the following:
Mechanic - Changed two pinion seals and a power steering hose.
Financial Officer - Finished the Income Tax Forms and got all the paper work
in to the bank for another year.
Carpenter - Finished cutting pieces for new lids and intalled a new exterior
door in the shop.
Plumber - Installed a new hot water tank and changed some lines around.
Ranchhand - Built two new access gates to pastures and helped move a
landowners bulls to the next field so they'd leave my hives alone.
Personel Officer - Interviewed and hired some more staff.
Truck Driver - Made a 1000 mile run for some equipment.
Light Equipment Operator -  Rebuilt and graveled the accesses to a some of
our yards.
Company Publicist - Went to annual machinery auction and chatted up the
local
landowners.
Computer Programer - Build a couple of programs for our specific needs.
Painter - Always painting to do.
Pest Control -Built bear fences. Baited skunks and rodents.
Welder - Modified some equipment and worked on a couple of new ideas.
Arbourist - Removed or modified the vegetation & trees in and around some of
our sights and access roads.
I'm sure I'm forgeting something and who knows what I'll be next week.

My neighbouring Beekeeper was sandblasting and repainting a 1 Ton.  Autobody
Repairman?

"Real" Beekeeping? We looked in some hives yesterday to assess queens and
feed.

>Daily hours,

From March 1st to the end of October or middle of November,  I'm up by the
latest six thirty and may go to bed by eleven. Other than meals most of
these hours are related to the business.  Now that I have a infant daughter
I intend not to work Sundays this season.  It has been traditionally the day
for repairs and to line up things for the crew to do during the next week.

During the winter there is still work to be done, but we pick our hours and
days.  If we want to hold down the couch for the day or travel it's our
choice.

Most of the operations in the area keep similar hours.

>Wage  (good bad years)

Tough question for us, because we don't break it down (Don't think we really
want to know what an hour of our time is worth).  We are making a good
return on investment and for the most part we enjoy the life.  On average
the business gives us the finances to do the things we want to do and put
some away.  We say on average, because like most forms of agriculture, some
years you make money and others you have losses.

>training Education

As much practical experience as possible in different areas, because you'll
use it (See above list of Occupations) .  I would recommend at least a 1
year College or night school course in business:  Basic Accounting, tax law,
employment skills, etc.  It maybe a lifestyle choice for you, but it is
still a business and you have to deal with other businesses, banks and
government.
When it comes to beekeeping.  Experience, experience, experience.  Volunteer
to help other beekeepers in your area.   Even when I had a couple hundred
hive of my own, I would offer a hand to beekeepers running what I thought
were sound operations.  Many times I would receive help or equipment in
return.  This was really nice, but the experience was the real payback.