From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:19:23 -0600
>Queen Exclusion-
>Since I don't have any drawn comb supers, should I put in ten in the supers
>instead of nine?  Also, I've been advised that the bees will not come up to
>work a super with just foundation (which all that I have right now) through
>a queen excluder.  What's the best way of preventing the queen from coming
>up and laying in newly drawn comb in my new shallow supers?  Presently, I'm
>using two deeps and there's brood in both levels.
>
>Thanx everyone in advance for your advice,
>
>Rory Stenerson,
>Member, Centre County Beekeepers Association,
>V.P., State College Underground Maltsters,
>State College, PA U.S.A.
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]

I like excluders but you may do just fine without one.  Shake the bees off
of 2 frames of brood and place these above the excluder.  That should get
them going up.  You can move the frames back later or simply wait 3 weeks
before extracting.

oops, I just noticed you are using shallow supers.  I will leave this
message anyway in case someone can use it as a starting point and give you a
better solution.  I guess you are experiencing one of the dissadvantages of
two sizes of equipment.

Eric

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada T0A 1N0