From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 07:23:14 -0400
> Does the sugar have to be powdered as opposed to simply granulated to
> achieve successful mite dislodgement.?

Any reference I have seen to the method has required powdered sugar.  The
grad student who discovered the method did so as her task was to procure
1500(?) healthy mites per day for study.  Prior to the powdered sugar method
she was using a brush to dislodge the mites from bees.  Searching for a
better way she tried the powdered sugar method and serendipitously
discovered that it works.  Serendipity is perhaps too chancy a word.  Talcum
powder has long bee known to have the same effect, but powdered sugar is
better received by the bees.  I wrote about this a few days back, but with
an improper Subject: line
See:
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0008B&L=bee-l&P=R931

Now, will granulated sugar work?  Dunno, but I doubt it.  Give it a try and
let us know if you have any success.

Aaron Morris: I think, therefore I bee!