From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2018 15:07:08 -0500
> honeybees are “rescue pollinators” and thus able to compensate for the decline of native pollinators in degraded habitats (Aizen & Feinsinger 1994; Dick 2001), we suggest that promoting beekeeping activities could compensate for habitat loss and ensure adequate pollination of wild plants and crops.

> Am I the only one complete confused and befuddled by the continued notion of "habitat loss" as an argument?? Millions of acres everywhere still in its wild state.

The reason I posted this excerpt was to call attention to the fact that in its native range, some local honey bees are on the verge of extinction. But the article brings up the other issue: the role of honey bees in pollination. A lot of native bee enthusiasts would exclude honey bees from wilderness areas. The above excerpt pushes back by showing that the honey bee can serve to complement native pollinators, rather than supplant them.

The above article refers to Europe where there is far less wild acreage. However, the issue is not whether there are millions of acres of wilderness somewhere -- it is whether there is suitable habitat for wild pollinators in proximity to farms and habitations. In most areas where large scale agriculture is practiced, there is very little natural habitat left. Native wild bees do not fly very far, usually less than a mile, so if they are to be beneficial they have to be close.

But beyond that, the issue above is that honey bees can be maintained in areas where they are valued. Natives are notoriously variable in their numbers and prevalence, and difficult to cultivate. The conservation of honey bees is an important concern, as well as the conservation of native wild bees and suitable habitat. These various concerns: agriculture, beekeeping, wildlife conservation, etc. are often at odds with each other.

Many people, including me, recognize the immense value of preserving pockets of wilderness in proximity to farms, communities, and cities. They serve as wildlife habitat, they consume CO2, and they bring beauty into our lives.

PLB