From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:42:21 -0000
Lloyd Spear mentioned Open Mesh Floors being permanently used in France and
I believe that this is a system that was originally developed in Germany.

Alistair Read from the UK was investigating, probably developing this method
and along with many others I joined in with his trials. I only ran three
hives on the 'Reid Mesh Floor', in the UK climate, for a couple of years and
I found them great, my colonies would come through the winter very strong,
with fewer mouldy frames and much to my amazement in the autumn the wasps
quickly gave up on trying to enter what they obviously thought was going to
be heaven.

Why did I not continue using them, don't know really, maybe just breaking
old habits. I did find that the installing of installation above the cover
board was a hassle, but think all my varroa mesh floors are going to be used
as normal floors this season.

Lloyd stated that Varroa Mesh Floors are relatively new in the States, see
you learn something every day. Have no contact with any of the book
companies but Northern Bee Books have a very useful booklet titled "Varroa
Mesh Floors" and I believe it comes complete with drawings of the "Reid Mesh
Floor".

Help me out Wedmore, I need to escape!!!!!!!

Ken Hoare