From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:08:29 -0400
Deknow writes:

> I should add that we don't do natural mite counts, because frankly, I wouldn't do anything (but let the bees do what they will) if it were high.

There is a very good reason to check for mites, even if you have no intention of treating. How will you know your hives have low levels of mites without treatments OR they are surviving despite relatively large mite populations. What difference does it make? I won't answer that question, because that would be to acknowledge that some people lack intellectual curiosity, which I am sure you don't.

By the way, I don't know who your inspector is, but anyone who leaves  a report under the cover where the bees can chew it, and thinks uncapping a few drone cells is adequate to evaluate mite levels in a colony, is not too bright. I do ether rolls, which kill maybe 250 bees, which to me is a very small number. However, the sugar roll is just as good and kills no bees. I don't trust mite drops.

plb