From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:28:52 -0500
Tim asked about definitions to these age old words.

I understand that back in the 60's the break to sideliner was 100 hives +-.
Commercial was +- 1,000 hives.

I have 125 hives, sell around 80 nucs a year, 5,000-6,000 sections of comb
honey, and a couple of tons of extracted honey.  Most, I guess, consider me
a sideliner.

To me, a good definition of sideliner is one with a full-time job not
related to beekeeping, and a substantial beekeeping operation that is done
during off hours, days off, and during vacation.  I know many persons with
300-700 hives that I classify as such.  It is hard for me to think of
someone with fewer than 50 hives as a sideliner, because I know how little
return can be expected from so few hives.

A commercial operation, to my way of thinking is one where just about the
sole source of income comes from beehives (often the spouse works outside
the home).  Today, this tends to be 3,000 hives or so.

That said, the guy running 3,000 hives with one assistant tends to be much
more of a beeHAVER than a beeKEEPER.  Lot's of nasty stuff going on, such as
use of Mavrik, and little 'care' of bees.  As one puts it to me "it is all I
know, except milking, and it is a lot better choice than a dairy herd"!  I
know too many of these guys.  Some are bee inspectors.

Fortunately, I also know quite a few commercial beeKEEPERS with 700-1200
hives that operate with care and have the motto "if you take care of the
bees, they will take care of you".  Those who operate alone run at the lower
end of the range given, and those who operate with a partner at the upper
end.  All spend a great deal of their time on 'marketing' (including
preparing comb honey, bottling, and delivery) and many also collect and sell
pollen.

I think the best distinctions should be a combination of number of hives and
economic return.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com