From:
Diana Sammataro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 1995 14:49:06 -0400

> I'm in Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo State in Brazil. I live near of the
> place where was introduced the African bees, by Dr. Warwick E.Kerr in
> 1956. I work at USP (Sao Paulo University) in a research center. If you
> need any information about africanized honeybees, please send your
> letter for: Ademilson Espencer Egea Soares
>             Departamento de Genetica
>             Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto - USP
>             14.049-900 Ribeirao Preto - SP - Brazil
>
>             Fax: 016-6330069
>             E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Sr. Soares:

I have tried to use your email three times and it has bounced back. Apologies
to the bee net, but I figured this was the only way to get a reply from you.

I read with interest your note about africanized bees and since I am studying

the tracheal mite in bees, was wondering if the bees there have tracheal mites?

If they do, could I get hold of some? I am doing DNA analysis of tracheal mites

to get a geographical distribution of strains, if they exist.

If you can send me some mites or bees in alcohol, I would be greatful.  If the

history fo the queen is known, that would be useful information.  One or two
hives with high levels of mites is wonderful, if you know they have them.

Thank you in advnace for your help.

Diana Sammataro
Department of Entomology

The Ohio State University
1735 Neil Ave., 105 Botany & Zoology Bldg.
Columbus, OH 43210-1220
Phone: (614) 292-9089, Fax: (614) 292-2180
Email: [log in to unmask] ohio-state.edu