Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 08:31:50 +0300
<You have to  be joking! Do you think that honey from hives that have been
treated with antibiotics is unfit for human consumption? In what parallel
universe?

Pete, helllo from the parellel universum of EU.

Here honey is considered as food, and foodstuffs have bees set limits to how
much forgein substances can be in. MRL = maximmum residue limit for antibiotics
in honey is in EU zero.

The consumers here have more power. This far they have been  willing to pay
more and get food without residues.  No one is seriously stating that this is a
health issue. Exept maybe  chinese honey with had  seme years back exotic
residues that could cause an anaflyctic shock in some persons.

As analyze methods got better this means now almost no possibility of
antibiotic treatments. Antibiotics are still leagal to use here in Finland, but
safety means that you can not use the honey for humans from treated hives for a
long time. Nornally this means you loose one year crop. Tetracyclines were
suppossed to diasappeare fast but we had cases with residues half year - year
later.

We had cases about 10 years back with antibiotics found in packed honey. All
ended up in waste. Now packers demand a written contract from beekeeper that
they have not used. It they lie and get cought they agree in contact to pay all
costs.That means that if my  500 kg antibiotic residue honey is mixad at
packing place to 10 tons of other honey. I pay all lost honey ....

Packers take small sample from all honey coming in and keep that until honey
is sold and used.

If beekeepers use antibiotics, they tell about it , honey is tested by their
expence, if ok packed.

All this means that AFB is treated here by shaking, worst cases burned. From
about 100 beekeepers that I know who have been treatig for AFB in past 2 years
only 1 used antibiotics.

Ari Seppälä
beekeeping advicer
Finland