From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:45:23 -0700
--- On Sat, 3/21/09, Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have been trying to find out who invented the term Colony
> Collapse Disorder (CCD), but cannot pin it down to an
> individual.  Can anyone help?

“Symptom’s similar to those described for this disorder have been described
in the past, and the condition has received many different names. These
include autumn collapse, May disease, spring dwindle, disappearing disease,
and fall dwindle disease. The CCD working group felt none of these names
were appropriate for the current condition. The reasons are as follows:
1) References to the season are inappropriate as there is increasing
evidence that the condition manifests itself throughout the year
2) Dwindle implies a gradual decline of colony population. While the
actual rate of adult bee loss in populations have not been recorded, it
is clear that otherwise strong colonies can quickly lose their entire
workforce in a matter of weeks.
3) Disappearing has been used to refer to a host of other conditions that
do not necessarily share the same symptoms as those presently being
described.
4) The term “disease” is commonly associated with a pathogenic agent.
While the definition of disease does have a broader meaning (i.e.
coronary disease), until (or if) such an agent is found the use of the
word disease would be misleading. Should a biological or other
agent(s) be found the name of this condition will likely be
reconsidered.”

Source:
http://maarec.psu.edu/pressReleases/FallDwindleUpdate0107.pdf

Best Wishes,