From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:28:41 +0000
I've absolutely no problem with commercial outfits se
Hi Allen and Bob

I've absolutely no problem with commercial outfits selecting hard against what it seems I will have to call 'dinks'.  But weren't we discussing survivors of epidemics (of CCD or Varroa)?  In this case, surely they are not 'dinks' but those rare colonies that managed to shrug off a devastating problem, and so might have the special genetics that - for example - the original survivors in Primorsky would have had?  There's another 'secret' of beekeeping!

I'm not saying that Bob has to do this - nor even that special genetics is the only reason for such survivors - but they could be useful to someone.

all the best

Gavin