From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:11:17 +0300
Aaron
> what effect the treatment will have on the stores in the fumigated combs.

Fumigation with acetic acid used to be a standard procedure in Finnish
beekeeping. In the fall frames were packed into plastic containers or large
plastic bags. 80 % acetic acid in 100 ml / langstroth box. Our winter is so
cold that acetic does not evaporate too well ( + 5 - - 30 Celsius) but it
keeps the mice away.

During spring and summer frames are aired and taken to the hives.

Some beekeepers use heated isolated boxes. Box full of frames + 25 - + 30
Celsius for a week, and then a new batch.

No one has reported me problems to bees. Many frames have some honey or
pollen.

During recent years beekeepers have been using less acetic, but we have had
Nosema ceranae since 1998,and now many are talking of starting the use of
acetic again.

No signs of CCD this far.

Ari Seppälä