Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 19:39:46 EST
Hello,

I had almost the same experience the summer before last.  I had
just acquired a few established hives and was told that one had
recently swarmed.  When I opened this hive ( a 3-medium brood
chamber) a queen cell between the boxes was broken open and what
appeared to be a fully-developed queen disappeared quickly into
the lower box.  I do not know what became of her but I still
have the hive and it is very much alive.

These hives, BTW, had been totally unattended since the
beekeeper died in 1992 until I took them over in 1996.  The
family had left them in place but had not touched them.. . .
I did find them to have Varroa in the drone cells so I treated
them with Apistan. . .So no way to evaluate any
possible natural resistance, but I do still have the same bees.

Regards,

Fred

(in Virginia)

According to Paul Cronshaw, D.C.: