From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:09:41 EST
The maps of CCD are based on the beekeeper survey posted on
_www.beesurvey.com_ (http://www.beesurvey.com) .  All state reports  must be confirmed by
followup interviews, inspections.  The maps are based  on a 12 month period -- not
all states are experiencing the CCD at this  time.  For a state to be added to
the list, we look for evidence of  collapse in the state itself, as well as
any collapse in states  like California of Florida.

Most recently, CCD has been playing out in CA, OR, OK, and TX, as well as
some continued failure in SE states.

Several beekeepers have indicated that we should go back 2-3 years.

As per honest responses -- we've made a concerted effort to protect
beekeeper confidentiality (read the intro to the survey).  In fact, after  the latest
map was posted, some state inspectors called or e-mailed us, wanting  to know
WHO the reporting beekeeper(s) were.

We told them that we can only share that information IF the beekeeper has
checked the box on the form allowing us to do so.  Not surprisingly, state
regulatory officials are the one group that several beekeepers do not want to
receive specific information.

Once again, the only way we can get correct data is if you, the beekeepers,
provide it.  We need to know where and when the CCD has been seen, actual
locations of affected yards - to see if it spreads to nearby yards, and
management information that may help us understand what beekeepers without the  CCD
are doing differently, if anything, from those with the disorder.

As such, not only do we need to hear from beekeepers who have experienced
the CCD, but we need to also need to have beekeepers who have managed a
reasonably large number of bees for several years without seeing the CCD.   (A
beekeeper with 1-2 years experience and 1-2 hives is too small to tell much -  may
have just been lucky).

So, rather than argue the correctness of the survey, please  participate.
These surveys depend on adequate input.

We need your assistance.  Our maps are based on the best available
information, and that information mainly comes from beekeepers.  Where  possible, we
try to get independent confirmation, but we have to trust the  beekeeper in the s
ame way that the beekeeper has to trust that we will protect  the
confidentiality of the information.

Finally, the map on CBS last night is already out-of-date.  You can  all add
Washington to the list of affected states.

And before you ask, no, we have not posted the map on our survey  site.  We'd
just as soon not influence participation by having a respondent  look at the
map before deciding whether to fill out the survey.

Thanks

Jerry