From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 11:08:18 -0500
Bob, I've got the book in hand, and just skimmed through all the chapters
> relating to varroa, but somehow missed finding any indication that the
> hole
> is for the removal of mites.  Could you please direct us to the
> appropriate
> chapter?

I have the book also and have read and reread a few times. Not sure of the
exact chapter nor the time to search right now. Busy time for me as trying
to shut down, get bees ready for winter and into new holding yard.

The work of Dr. Harris (Peter posted) is not enough to show that cerana does
in Dr. Harris own words prove cerana does remove varroa through the opening?

I actually thought you guys would object to my saying varroa only reproduces
in cerana drone brood as on *rare* occasions (using a Dr. Harris word)
varroa has been found in cerana worker brood.

> Now I'm really confused.  To the best of my knowledge, neither A cerana
> nor
> mellifera perform hygienic mite removal from drone cells.

Cerana is known for leaving a hole in the drone brood. Pictures of cerana
drone brood I have seen (on the net also I would guess) show the holes. The
few U.S. researchers I have spoke with familiar with cerana ( very few)
always have said grooming and removal through the hole of varroa PLUS the
fact varroa reproduction only occurs in the cerana drone brood ( also
swarming) are the primary reasons cerana and varroa have a good
host/parasite relationship. How many years it took is anybodies guess but
Renderer especially said its highly unlikely mellifera will use the holes
and varroa which prefers drone brood will (unlike cerana) always reproduce
in mellifera worker brood if all that is available.

Without checking and from memory I believe the holes are only found in
cerana drone brood but I could be wrong and one needs to keep in mind that
there are more than one cerana found in Asia. Some are reported to be the
size of mellifera and others much smaller.

I might be talked into giving a future predication for cerana but my view
today is not a popular view and I feel at least 20 years ahead of general
acceptance.

bob