Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:36:17 -0700
To all,

 Many of you lately have been reading the almond debate here on bee-L.

  I would like to make this my last post on this subject.

 Those of you that are considering the treks out West next year, some thoughts to think about.

   Try to find a local keeper near where you will be staying, he or she can help you find a local, the repair shops, bulk syrup, medication and soforth.The yards that you winter in, make sure that they are accessible in the worst winter conditions, ask a local. Make sure that someone can check on them regularly, to make sure  lids don't blow off, cattle don't trample them etc...  Field prep, some of us use G.P.S. to mark the locations ahead of time in the almond fields. Farmers sometimes have locked gates, overflowing rivers, etc... so you may have to enter the field from a different direction at delivery time, G.P.S. will help you with this problem especially at night.Make sure the bees won't flood, be in the way of spray rigs, etc... , you don't want a phone call two weeks later when your home telling you have to move them. Have phone numbers of the county, private and other keepers in the area for a second grading if needed (ahead of time ).

 Contracts:
 My god, be sure to have one. What is a good one?, that's up for debate, but ask other keepers that have a pollination history, look at what they use ( just do your home work). It may be worth consulting your attorney.

Last but not least, be sure to have your bees in good shape.
I've made many mistakes myself, I try learn from them and press on.

 Bob H. and his mid West friends, I hope they bounce back and you have a prosperous second half of 2006.

 Keith Jarrett