From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 08:19:40 -0500
> Bob ,correct me if i'm reading into what your saying,but it seemed like
> you are eluding to this study confirming what CCD is?

I have always said the neonicotinoids were a killer of bees. I have never
seen a deadout in my bees which fit the CCD description. I have had losses
which fit the desorption of a pesticide kill. Especially in areas of
imidicloprid treated seed corn.

I have looked at claimed CCD deadouts and bees in others operations and
found common problems such as PMS in the deadouts which made me suspect
varroa controls failed and nosema ceranae issues. I have had nosema ceranae
issues in some of my yards but happy to say no problems today. None!

The push for a piece of the research funding fueled the fire of CCD as being
something totally new and a danger to the worlds beekeeper. Give us millions
and we will solve the puzzle. Was the CCD puzzle solved? have we learned
about a new problem or was CCD caused by problems which have been around for
awhile and was the simple result of weakened immune systems brought on by
poor varroa control and poor nutrition?

CCD is in my opinion only a name given our current bee die-off. No yet to be
discovered new issue. Beekeepers with losses jumped on the band wagon.

>  I hate to be a naysayer as you call it,but have to ask and point out that
> when David Hackenburg found all his dying and dead hives,I had all of them
> on my fall locations here in Florida and placed them there,and had already
> found massive losses  in my operation before we noticed his.

Well in the case of Hackenberg deadouts nosema ceranae & KBV were found in
all the samples. It took me a year to clear my nosema ceranae issues and I
lost hives ( as did many of my friends) and KBV is a direct result of a
failed varroa control. ( As alluded to by Medhat in Canada). Enough said.

Virus researchers like Bailey have always said *if* you control varroa then
you control viruses in bees. I know some U.S. researchers are trying to say
the opposite but I do not buy into the hypothesis and accept the decades of
work by Bailey as gospel.

> My bees that year never went to Maine ,never left Florida and that was
> before we had went west to the California

I think if I had came to look and test your bees and give advice you might
have recovered *faster*. You did recover did you not? What steps solved the
issue?
Did those steps in your opinion solve the problem?
Do you believe the problem simply disappeared?

>  I'm no fan of big chemical by no means ,but this is not the smoking gun
> if that's what your thinking.

No smoking gun as far as the neonicotinods are concerned but does explain to
me about my losses around corn in the drought years.

CCD may simply be a myth. But maybe a convenient way to explain bee loss to
the Misses.

> I'm going to start a new theory and say I think the aliens were short on
> bees and beamed them up.:)

Even when taken up aliens the bees would be anal probed and then returned
from the reports I have read. Never not returned.

I take bee loss very serious. I have been called in on some serious numbers
of bee loss issues. So far all can be explained to some degree.

Because of CCD we will now see a hive of robotic bees ( cost 10 million
dollars) and have discovered small cell will not control varroa.

We might could do a B movie about robotic bees gone out of control and maybe
get a return for our 10 million dollars.

Reminds me of the new country song by Toby Keith "American Ride".

Thanks for the post David!

bob