From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:01:08 -0400
> Such teaching is based upon the faulty assumption that natural is
> always better. Natural
> pollen may in fact be deficient in essential nutrients and/or
> contaminated by agricultural
> chemicals.

Not too sure which is the faulty assumption here...

Peter, I have issues with the above statement because you then go on
to state that those natural pollens are contaminated with non-natural
fungicides, pesticides, and and antibiotics for fruit.

Which only proves that the bees are foraging on sources that are also
NOT kept naturally, not that bees kept naturally (whatever that means)
do not do well.

If the theory is, and I will steal from Randy here..."fat bees are
healthy bees"...and that the more naturally they come to this point
the better off they are, then I think many of us will agree with this
theory.

I will argue that it is possible to have bees forage on relatively
safe sources.  I think the reality of this becomes even more so as the
farmers in that region become more diversified, rotate more, and rely
less on chemical solutions.  That is not an argument for or against
GMO crops or large scale farming, just smart farming.

I am curious...is there anyone on this list that would be interested
in testing my forage material?  Especially  pollen and propolis?

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855