Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:14:44 EDT
In a message dated 6/25/99 3:35:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> >     With honey, in most of the USA, at least, "organic" is a marketing
>  >technique, not a reality.
>  >
>  I have noticed this concept quite often of late and find it difficult to
>  believe.  Surely it is possible to produce organic honey in Alaska for
>  example or has this too been contaminated.

    Er... is Alaska part of the USA?

    Seriously, I would accord Alaska the same credibility of organic claims
that I would the Sonoran Desert. But it's a tough place to keep bees. I know
there is an small but active beekeeping industry on the panhandle. I doubt
there is much in the rest of the territor.....er....state.

 I would like to know what is the
>  opinion of the American members of this list on this subject.  Are you
>  worried that you can't produce organic honey or do you think the the
>  situation is acceptable?  What is the American opinion on organic food?
>  Would you pay more to eat organic food?  Is there a general revulsion
>  against pesticide use or is it acceptable provided no bees are killed?

    You find a small contingent, particularly around the universities that
wants, and is willing to pay for, organic food. Otherwise I can't say there
is a general revulsion against pesticide use, and bee kills are quite
acceptible to the majority, because they have little concept of their role in
their food supply. The average person's picture of the beekeeper is of
someone's (rather strange) elderly uncle "messing around" with his three or
four hives, so there is no general concept of the destruction of a
specialized famer's livelihood by pesticide poisoning.  The kind of beekeeper
in the image is pretty much gone today. Today's typical beekeeper is either a
full time commercial (family) migratory operation, or an upper middle class,
middle aged, suburbanite who took up beekeeping to help out his garden.

     Our rural gardens around here are generally chalky looking (Sevin dust)
about this time of year, so you don't have a lot of concern, even when people
grow their own food.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm