From:
"M.Westby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 10:05:27 +0000
>Does anyone have a good suggestion for a bee-friendly insecticide around
>the hive?  Precautions such as having the hive relatively high off the
>ground, etc. are in place.  Someone suggested the "ant stakes," poison
>which is contained in a metal housing that is then stuck in the ground is
>a good choice, but I'd like to hear your success stories.
>
>Is anyone familiar with this product?  If so, is the bait attractive to bees?
>
>thanks
>
>kevin roddy

Kevin

I don't like the idea of the poison ....As I mentioned on this list some
time ago, the classic solution for ants is to put the hive stand legs into
metal cans (bottom half of 5l engine oil cans) filled with used sump oil.
You must of course be careful that there is no 'bridge' from the edge of
the can to the leg. I have never had to do this in this part of the world
even though my apiary is right on the edge of woodland.  Apparently
however, this is *very* successful.  BUT *beware*, the beekeeper is as
likely as the ants to get his feet in the oil (although less likely than
them to drown in it!)

Cheers, Max

                                                 (@ @)
Max Westby
(Among other things a Sheffield Beekeeper)
South Yorkshire Beekeepers Association  BBKA apiary reg: JQ34
Phone (Home):          +44 (0)114 236 1038
Fax:                   +44 (0)114 276 6515
e-mail:                [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web Site:   http://www2.shef.ac.uk/default.html