From:
"Joseph A. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:04:29 -0400
Hello All,

I've just received a letter from our State Apiarist that also confirmed that
the SHB had been found in South Central Virginia.  We knew that it had
been found in certain areas of North Carolina, but this bit of news makes
it closer to home.  I wonder about the hardiness of this beetle, and if it
will be able to survive winters further north.  I wonder if the adults would
be able to insinuate themselves into the winter cluster of bees and remain
warm enough to survive the winter, or if the bees would be able to move
them from the cluster and let them freeze.  I have found no evidence of
SHB in my colony but I'm afraid it's just a matter of time for me, as well.

At 12:28 PM 8/19/01 -0400, Bob Harrison wrote:
>... the Small Hive Beetle had been found in Missouri. The SHB was sent off
>and SHB was
>confirmed.

Joseph A. Clark, President
Tidewater Beekeepers Association