From:
N Wicker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:56:20 -0500
Gm Charlie:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your answers are very helpful to
me. Although I plead guilty to being a non-commercial beekeeper (and a new
one  at that), I am also a vegetable farmer so pesticide practices are a
constant  consideration for me.

Pest scouting is a daily activity here during the growing season so I, too,
 am flabbergasted when I encounter beekeepers (large and small) who don't
have a  well-planned varroa monitoring program in place. On one forum that I
monitor  even just using sticky boards is considered anathema to the group's
 "treatment-free" standards. But it's not just the treatment-free crowd
which  doesn't have any idea about their pest levels. Being a new beekeeper,
I'll  eagerly listen to just about anyone describe their approach to
beekeeping  and more than one commercial beekeeper has told me they don't bother with
any  monitoring, they just treat on set schedule, no matter what. To me,
that's  equally clueless. (And exactly the same situation you're predicting as
 the likely result of withdrawing neonics and reverting to more ad hoc
pesticide  decision making.)

If you've talked to 200 hobbyists a year, please consider me the 201st, and
 I hope, the exception. I do know about monitoring, and do so constantly (I
even  have boards in now, even though I be darned if I can find any info on
 interpreting varroa drops during the winter in a broodless period).
nevertheless, that doesn't matter to me, because I know from my farming
experience that if I monitor/scout the pest levels faithfully, then over time  the
meaning of the trends will eventually become clear(er) and I'll have a sound
basis for treatment decisions.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond to a new beekeeper's
query.

Nancy Wicker

In a message dated 2/27/2014 6:48:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,