From:
Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:38:28 +1200
>shaun cranfield wrote, " ... its a high peroxidaze honey too ."
>
>For those who don't know, what is peroxidaze honey, and
>for me specifically, how is this determined?

        Without any disrespect to my countryman Shaun (whom I don't know),
let me offer a reply.
        Peroxidase (so spelt) is a type of enzyme, found in many organisms,
which catalyses the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen:

                2H202  =  2H2O + O2

{you'll have to imagine that the numbers after the symbols for the elements
are subscripts}

        It is somewhat surprising that this enzyme occurs in honey.
Several methods can be used to measure the peroxidase activity of honey; if
you want an accurate measurement, rather than just a vague indication, it's
a somewhat complex lab job to measure the rate of change of concentration
of one or more of those three chemicals.
        This type of catalytic activity occurs in some honeys, and has been
investigated by my esteemed countryman Dr Peter Molan (U of Waikato) as
possibly involved in the antibiotic wound-dressing powers of liquid honey.
It does not go far to explain those wonderful powers; none of the
individual components does, and so I tentatively conclude that this is an
example of synergism: the total effect is many times the sum of the
separate individual components' effects.
        I don't at all wish to open up any dispute with Peter's excellent
school, of whom I have no significant criticism, but I do suspect that
peroxidase activity is not a very important property of honey.