From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:20:41 -0400
Stan said:

> I am quite surprised at Aaron's post indicating that
> he thought David would not post to this list anymore.

I'm not - several people were less than courteous
to David Fischer (for the record, David Fischer is
no relation to me. "Fischer" is a very common name).
Anyone with a boss takes a big risk posting here,
which is why so few scientists participate.
Jerry B and I are not braver than everyone else in
the business, we are merely lucky enough to have
become "the boss".

> I had the impression that Jim was looking for an
> outright kill the way I have seen other insecticides
> kill my hives (he specified not due to sub-lethal effects).

Yes.  Everyone understood that.  I'm certain Bob
understood it too, even though he apparently
pretended to ignore it to create a "debating point".

> please be aware that in the case of potatoes here
> (and most likely in Long Island) farmers apply the
> material to the seed set themselves.

Yes, that's well understood.  Over time, I expect
that most crops will get the same treatment as corn
does, where the seed comes pre-treated by default.

> However, that is a great improvement over foliar
> spray and soil injection

Exactly.  And while we are on the subject, I know that
beekeepers from PEI Canada came up with a complicated
accusation, telling a tale of hives dying from mere
proximity to soil-drenched fields where potatoes were
grown. On Long Island, no such negative effects were
noticed, even though more potatoes are grown on LI
than on PEI.  So much of this drenching was done on
LI that trace levels of the pesticide started showing
up in residential water wells, but even then not a
single hive on Long Island was even suspected of
being harmed.

And in case anyone thinks that Long Island beekeepers
are sloppy, lazy, inattentive beekeepers who would not
notice sublethal effects, I submit as "Exhibit A"
a snapshot of the two hives of a mere novice beekeeper
on Long Island.   Note the extensive evidence of
a level of "picky" that verges on pathological, even
in the apiary of a beginner:

http://bee-quick.com/reprints/LIhives.jpg

a) Pavers under hive stand - a foundation!
b) Yes, that is a bee-themed thermometer on the stand
c) Excellent paint jobs, honey supers in red
d) Note the numbers - no stencils, actual metal numbers
e) Copper roofs - classy and pricey
f) Wood-chip mulch around the hives

Red Sox 8, Tampa 7 !
The Triumph of Hope Over Experience.