From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:31:29 -0500
I got the results back from my CT scan and other than a slightly larger
lymph node under my arm, which is probably from a respiratory problem, I
have no detectable cancer. The node will be checked again in May. My
Doctor was not too concerned about it since it was in the wrong
location, but with Malignant Melanoma you can never be sure. But he gave
it a good going over and was fairly sure that it was normal.

Malignant Melanoma usually grows and travels quickly, but my tumor did
not. MM is also one of the few cancers that the bodies immune system
does fight. Which is why one treatment is Interferon, which is designed
to boost the immune system to fight it.

I cannot help but remember Bob H's post on his immune system and the
high levels of Gamma globulin that beekeeper's have from being stung. I
realize it is totally anecdotal, but even my Oncologist did not dismiss
the stings as a factor in the slow growth of the MM in the lymph node
(about seven years after my original MM on my face).

Even more, its confinement to a single lymph node showed something was
going on. Two of my Doctor's had friends who had the same symptoms as me
in finding a MM in a lymph node. Both lost them to MM within a year.
Another friend lost his dad in three months. In each, it did not stay
confined. So I count myself blessed by God (it was not an accident that
started me keeping bees) and my bees. What other hobby is there in the
whole world that might have saved your life and gives you great syrup
for your pancakes?

I refused the Interferon treatment since it gave a 10% better chance of
survival while making you miserable for a year and possibly damaging
your thyroid gland. Instead, I stung myself with about 8-10 bees twice
(about 1 1/2 month apart- whenever they were flying), and will keep that
up over the years. The problem with almost all cancers is
once you have it, you have it. You may be in remission your whole life
or it may come back. So I will be continuing my treatment for the
duration, which is no big deal since I do it anyway for my arthritis.

Some interesting facts about MM. It was once thought that you should
stay out of the sun if you were susceptible, but now moderate or limited
sun exposure is an indicator of having it less than staying out of the
sun completely.

They have also found that there may be more than one kind of MM, or that
people react differently to MM. Some get it worse than others, so I am
in the latter category. But the whys of that are not understood, while I
feel it is the immune system. Might also be vitamin D, since that and
the sun go together.

Anyway, I will be around a bit more to enjoy the BeeL and my bees.

Thanks, more than you will ever appreciate, for your prayers, emails and
encouragement. You are friends.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine